Last month I reread a couple of my favourite books (ahead of the release of the last book in a series) but before I did this I had a real internal struggle about whether or not this was the best way that I could be using my reading time. Here are some of the pros and cons I debated over.
- Rereading is comforting. I know I’m going to enjoy it. There’s usually a reason I loved the book in the first place. The characters are familiar and it can be great escapism – like watching Home Alone every Christmas.
- You notice things you never noticed the first time around. The first time reading, I’m usually focused on the plot and what’s going to happen next. The second time is for all the tiny details that I might never have noticed if I hadn’t committed to a reread.
- It helps refresh your memory of books and revive your enthusiasm when there’s been a gap between releases. I’m particularly bad for forgetting everything that happened in a series and feeling totally lost when I pick up the latest release.
- Personally, rereading books can help to lift me out of a reading slump. Sometimes I can’t decide what to read next or struggle to get excited about anything, but falling back on an old favourite for a bit of a break can be really helpful in pushing past this.
- You have less time to spend on discovering new authors. I have so many books sat on bookshelves that I’ve bought but haven’t got around to, not to mention the library books that keep getting renewed and the endless depths of my Kindle. Realistically I know I’m never going to read all of the books I currently have in my possession, but if I spend time rereading it feels like I’m not even trying.
- You feel guilty that about prioritise reread books over others with more pressing deadlines. This includes as library books that need returning or ARCs from publishers, which should ideally be read and reviewed shortly after their release date.
- If you’re a book blogger, you have less material to use for review posts. If you’re rereading, you’ve likely already reviewed these books in the past. Plus if you use Goodreads (you can connect with me here), you have less books to count towards your overall reading total for the year. The part of me that’s competing with last year’s me for most books read doesn’t handle this well.
Do you reread books? If so, do you have a favourite that you like to come back to again and again?