A few months ago I did a post where I looked at the books that I’ve collected over the years but haven’t yet got around to reading. Inspired by this, this year I really want to start making a dent in my backlist rather than constantly being seduced by shiny new books!
Last year I had the same goal, and so decided to take part in the Beat the Backlist challenge – where I aimed to read at least one book a month that I had owned since pre-2017 (it’s running again in 2018 if you’re interested). I didn’t do too well on this one, so this year I feel like I need to be more specific!
I’ve picked 8 specific books from my own backlist that I’m going to prioritise in 2018. I’m planning to review this after six months and see where I’m at with this list. Hopefully I’ll have made some good progress and will be able to add some more titles!
The books I’ve chosen are from all different genres, and there’s a good mix of page counts too – as I was conscious not to choose too many huge books that might feel intimidating! They’re all ones that I originally bought or acquired, in one form or another, because I really wanted to read them, so I’m really looking forward to starting to work through the list.
So, in 2018 I’m definitely going to read…
- A Little Life: I was desperate to read this book. Everyone I know that’s read it has told me how great it is. I originally downloaded it in audiobook form and struggled to get into it, but I’m really looking forward to giving it another go.
- The Stand: This one has been on my TBR for ages, but the size of it has been a bit off-putting! I’m sure I’ll enjoy it once I get started though.
- Notes from an Exhibition: I’ve actually had this one for years but haven’t yet read it. I recently read and loved Gale’s A Place Called Winter’, so that’s given me new motivation to pick this one up!
- Six of Crows: I really don’t know why I haven’t read this yet. I’ve heard only good things.
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks: I picked this one up second hand a while back and I’ve heard so much about it. It sounds absolutely fascinating. I rarely read non-fiction and it’s one of my 2018 goals to read more in this genre, so this is a good place to start.
- The Blind Assassin: I love Margaret Atwood but I haven’t had a chance to get to this yet. Watching the TV adaption of The Handmaid’s Tale as well as Alias Grace on Netflix has made me really keen to read more of her works.
- Wrath: This is the final book in a series that I love. However, I left it too long and have forgotten so many details. I could really do with rereading the previous book to refresh my memory, but haven’t found the time. I’m going to have to find a summary online somewhere or a spoilery review before I start this one.
- All the Light We Cannot See: I’ve actually started this one a couple of times but never got further than the first chapter. I don’t know what’s been putting me off. It got so many great reviews though that I’m going to try again.
What are the books that you most want to read in 2018? Have you read any that are on my list?